Thursday, March 29, 2018

Either your Mom, a teacher, or a mentor told you this...

Keep learning.

Today around 10am I’m going to be talking to a group of plumbing contractors out at the fairgrounds. I’ve been wracking my brain trying to decide what information would be most useful to them.

Do you remember sitting through a painfully boring meeting, someone standing up front speaking what either seemed like some other language or was so monotone and the content so bland it was hard to take?

Well I’ve decided one of the best things I can do is to poll the audience before I start saying anything. 

This has worked many times in the past for me and the biggest reason is, if you don’t already know your audience, you are almost certainly going to miss and end up spewing stuff they have no interest in. 

Continuing education is something your Mom likely told you to do. There is always something more that can be learned, or if you’re like me, I need reminders every so often. Now days in many trades it is mandatory. 

I’ve probably mentioned it before, but a trade association for your profession is one of the best resources for this kind of thing. I found the one for me with a simple Google search, and is has been paying off ever since. 

In todays fast paced world if you aren’t putting effort into this, chances are good your profession is pulling away from you. In reality though, it is much easier than it seems, don’t over complicate it.

An owners manual. A YouTube video. Local continuing education class. Video tutorials put on by product manufacturers. Community education classes out at UCC.

These are examples that can make all of the difference. It will bring more value to that time you have so little of. Add these up over the years and you’ll pull away from those who don’t. 

If you’re a plumber, maybe I’ll see you out there today. 

Either way, keep on learning my friend. 

-Tim-

Have a tool or equipment need coming up? We’d appreciate your business

Roseburg 541-492-7368

Myrtle Creek 541-863-4385

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for taking the time to comment on our blog.